Pages

Saturday, December 23, 2023

Why Do Denominational Churches Prohibit Pastors and Teachers From Preaching and Teaching Specific Verses Found in the Bible?

Image by Ronald Sandino from Pixabay

Why Do Denominational Churches Prohibit Pastors and Teachers From Preaching and Teaching Specific Verses Found in the Bible?

For countless years, this topic has weighed heavily on my mind. The reason being that when I first found salvation, I became part of a Methodist Church where sprinkling was performed instead of baptism. Although I remained a faithful member for approximately a decade, certain practices within the church reminded me too much of the Roman Catholic traditions, causing me great discomfort.

After the unfortunate split in the Methodist Church, my family and I made the decision to explore a different place of worship. We found ourselves visiting an Assemblies of God (Pentecostal) church in our town, and what a delightful surprise it was. From the moment we stepped foot inside, we were greeted with warm smiles and open arms, as if we were old friends reuniting after years apart. The genuine happiness and friendliness displayed by the church members was unlike anything we had ever experienced before. However, life had other plans for us as my work required me to relocate to another town in a different part of the state.

It's unfortunate that you can faced such a distressing situation in your new town. Moving to a new place can be challenging, especially when it comes to finding suitable rental accommodations. It seems like you were able to secure a house on a dairy farm, which was an interesting experience. It was a disheartening to hear about the encounter my wife had with the local Baptist pastor. He said that because we were Pentecostals we were going to hell. It's important for individuals from different religious backgrounds to promote tolerance and understanding rather than resorting to anger and judgment. No one should be subjected to such harsh treatment based on their religious beliefs. Remember, despite encountering occasional obstacles, it is crucial not to let negative experiences overshadow the potential for positive interactions and meaningful connections in your new community.  Unfortunately, we made the decision to not visit that church again.

Upon moving to a new town, we sought solace in another Assemblies of God church. Unfortunately, our experience fell short of our expectations. We had assumed that all AG churches would exude the same warmth and friendliness as our beloved previous church. Instead, we encountered a disheartening display of arrogance and pride among the pastors.

After my job came to an end in that town, my family and I decided to relocate to a different town in the central part of our state. However, life took an unexpected turn as my wife and I sadly ended up getting divorced. Shortly thereafter, she found love again and got remarried. It took me three years, but eventually, I also found love and remarried.

During our time in the new town, my wife and I decided to visit a nearby Baptist church. Being passionate about teaching, I eagerly volunteered to contribute by leading a Sunday School class. To my surprise and disappointment, I was informed that due to being Pentecostal, teaching a class would not be possible in their church. Instead, they suggested that I could serve as a greeter. While this setback was disheartening at first, it reminded me of the importance of acceptance and understanding within religious communities. Despite the limitations placed upon me based on my denomination differences, it served as motivation for me to seek out other avenues where my skills could be valued and embraced with open arms. Remembering that true faith knows no boundaries or denominational walls allowed me to find solace elsewhere while continuing on my spiritual journey with an open heart. I enthusiastically volunteered to be a greeter and found the experience quite enjoyable. However, I must admit that I was deeply disappointed to discover that some individuals within the Baptist community held such strong negative sentiments towards those who had previously identified as Pentecostal.

We later moved to another state and joined a mega Pentecostal Church.  I was invited by a specific ministry of the church to become a budget counselor for church members.  I also taught a money management class at this church.  The church split so we left there and started going to another Baptist church, but they had changed the name of the church to a generic name that kind of disassociated themselves from the stigma of the Baptist name.

In my new church, I made the decision to keep my previous membership with a Pentecostal church private. However, I was given the opportunity to teach a class on money management without any reservations. Throughout the sessions, I focused solely on what the scriptures have to say and refrained from incorporating any denominational doctrines into my teachings.

After experiencing another church split, my family and I decided to transfer our membership to a thriving mega Baptist church. Initially, they welcomed me as a volunteer budget counselor. However, things took an unexpected turn when they discovered my Pentecostal background. Unfortunately, they made the decision to exclude me from my role as a budget coach and denied me the opportunity to teach a Sunday School class or lead in any capacity. Nonetheless, they did offer me the chance to assist one of their Administrative Pastors who led what they referred to as a Small Group instead of a traditional Sunday School class. While it was not the exact role I had initially envisioned, I was excited about this new opportunity for growth and contributing my skills in helping others within this new context.

During the Pastor's sabbatical, my friend, who is also a Pastor, took on the responsibility of teaching the class. He chose an intriguing subject: "The post-crucifixion journey of Jesus." While he shared several biblical passages to support his teachings, I inquired why he hadn't mentioned 1 Peter 3:19-21.  “by whom also He went and preached to the spirits in prison, who formerly were disobedient, when once the Divine longsuffering waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water. There is also an antitype which now saves us—baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,”

The Amplified Bible version is a bit easier to understand: "in which He also went and preached to the spirits now in prison, who once were disobedient, when the great patience of God was waiting in the days of Noah, during the building of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons [Noah’s family], were brought safely through the water.  Corresponding to that [rescue through the flood], baptism [which is an expression of a believer’s new life in Christ] now saves you, not by removing dirt from the body, but by an appeal to God for a good (clear) conscience, [demonstrating what you believe to be yours] through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,"

During a conversation with the Pastor he made it clear that discussing this particular verse was not permitted. Naturally, I inquired about the reasoning behind this restriction. He explained that according to the teachings of the Church Fathers, there are certain scriptures that should not be openly discussed. The term "Church Fathers" was unfamiliar to me at the time, although I assumed he was referring to the esteemed Elders within the Church community.

Upon reflecting on the Pastor's words, I couldn't help but wonder about the implications. If there are certain scriptures that he cannot discuss openly, it raises concerns about which other passages might also be off-limits and what reasons could possibly justify such restrictions.  I immediately thought of 2 Timothy 3:15-17 - "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work."

I can understand why you may find this situation upsetting as it does me. It is indeed disappointing when a church forbids certain scripture passages despite claiming that all scripture is inspired by God. It sounds like their decision is driven by their denominational theology and doctrines, which are prioritized over the full range of scriptural teachings. My experience with this specific denomination led me to leave, only to discover that many other denominations also adhere to similar theological practices. This can be disheartening, as it indicates a wider trend among pastors who have been taught these theological perspectives in seminaries. While it may be challenging to find a denomination that aligns perfectly with your personal beliefs and values, it's important not to lose hope. Keep exploring different denominations and churches, and seek out those that prioritize an open interpretation of scripture while still honoring the core principles of faith. Remember, there are diverse perspectives within Christianity, and you may find a community that resonates with your own spiritual journey. I don’t live in Ohio, but I did find a church there that teaches the Bible as God intended. If you live in Ohio check out “Grace Bible AmbassadorsOhioGraceBible.com - 12385 Misty Ave SW.  Uniontown, OH 44685 

No comments:

Post a Comment

1 Corthians 13 ~ The Love Chapter #love #lovechapter #1corinthians13

Discover the Profound Wisdom of Love in 1 Corinthians 13: A Life-changing Perspective Unveiling the Essence of Love According to 1 Cori...